Power Gamer's anonymous
Luskan, also known as the City of Sails, was a port city at the mouth of the River Mirar on the Sword Coast North. Luskan, despite the presence of the Ten Towns is considered by many to be civilization’s farthest reach.
Although once a bustling city, in the days prior to the Spellplague, the city would suffer greatly at the hands of Arklem Greeth. The resulting disaster would allow the Spellplague to nearly decimate the city, with it having only a fraction of its former populace.
As of 1370 DR, the city was split into northern and southern halves by the River Mirar, and these were connected by the bridges Dalath’s Span, Harbor Cross, and the Upstream Span. Other than the Host Tower of the Arcane, the city was dominated by two- and three-story buildings.
Two inhabited islands sat in the mouth of the river: the island upon which lay the Host Tower of the Arcane (connected to both sides of the river by bridges) and Closeguard Island, which housed Ship Kurth (connected to the southern bank by a bridge).
The northern section was walled and was almost entirely made up of warehouses. The Mirabar District (also known as the Mirabar Shield) was a fortified compound operated by the merchants of Mirabar, and it contained the Throat, the city’s heavily guarded main water tower, which was situated in a grazing area for sheep. The Red Dragon Trading Post, Luskan’s most successful overland trading company as of 1370 DR (but no longer in operation in 1483 DR, was situated on the northern bank, as was the North Gate, the portal between the northern and southern banks.
The docks on the northern bank were on the sea coast (western part of the city) and consisted of Whitesails Harbor, used exclusively for the Luskan navy, and the unprotected Open Shore, which was situated outside the city walls and was the only place foreign shipping could dock.
As of 1370 DR, the southern bank consisted of a heavily fortified inner section surrounded by caravan compounds. This area was home to the majority of residents and shops. The southern wall was semicircular, with over a dozen towers. The two towers flanking the South Gate were named the Twin Teeth. The southern bank also housed stables, the Captains’ and High Captains’ Courts, the Market and the Prisoners’ Carnival, and the town’s original harbor, Dragon Beach, a lawless place where even soldiers feared to tread.